Thursday 29 October 2015

Pumpkin Time! Pumpkin Pie!

I love Halloween and all the ghosts, ghouls and witches that come with it.  I enjoy seeing people in different costumes, but I especially like seeing the little children's costumes when they come up trick or treating at the door.
We have a tradition in our home during the month of October.  We have to watch 2 or 3 supernatural/horror movies a week until Halloween.  We put all the different names of Halloween movies that we want to watch in a box and every week we each pick out a movie. It's a hoot!  Some of these movies leave you holding your breath while others ( although they say it's a horror movie) are so ridiculous you have to laugh.  Anyhoot!  I guess I kind of got carried away.  My real purpose for this blog is my homemade pumpkin pie.  I know that there are a gazillion pumpkin pie recipes out there - so this will be a gazillion and one.  Actually this recipe has been handed down to me by my mom.  It is nothing original, but it has some different touches...for example instead of putting store bought whipping cream I make my own without sugar.  Why without sugar?  Because I think there's enough sugar and sweetness from the filling itself.  I also put shredded coconut on top.  I want to add that the taste is not the same when using a can of pumpkin. If you have the time get the sugar pie pumpkin. It really makes a difference in the taste. I make it almost every year for family and friends and they simply devour it.  Should you decide to make it and try it out, then you can be the judge. The recipe for my pumpkin pie is below.  Let me know what you think about it, but BEWARE one bite and you'll be hooked.  Happy Halloween!  
This is Li, with my two cents worth!

PUMPKIN PIE RECIPE

Preheat oven to 350

- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups fresh pumpkin puree or 1 15 ounce can pure pumpkin.  
- 1/2 cup 18% (table cream) cream.
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar.
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon.
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin spice or allspice (pumpkin spice or allspice is a blend of cinnamon, 
  clove and nutmeg).
- 1/2 teaspoon salt.








MAKING THE PUMPKIN PIE FILLING

If you are going to make the filling from scratch get the sugar pumpkin (also known as pie pumpkin) They come between 2 - 4 pounds.

- Cut the top part of the pumpkin and discard the stem section and the stringy pulp. Save the seeds to roast.
- Cut the pumpkin into 4 sections and place on a lined cookie sheet. I use foil to line the cookie sheet.
- Place each pumpkin section skin side up.
- Bake in a 350 degrees preheated oven for about 45 to 50 minutes, or until tender.
- Once the baked pumpkin has cooled scoop out the meat (also known as the flesh) part and discard the skin. Then puree or mash the flesh.

In a large bowl lightly whisk the eggs. Add the pumpkin puree and the remaining ingredients. Mix with an electric mixer on medium till all ingredients are combined. Pour the mixture into a Graham pie crust and place on  a large baking pan in case of any spills. Bake the pie for about 50 minutes or until the filling is set (the center will look wet). You can also test for doneness by inserting a knife about an inch from side of pan...if the knife comes out clean the pie is done.

Place the baked pie where no one will put their fingers in it.  LOL!  Let it cool before adding the whipping cream.

PUMPKIN PIE TOPPINGS

Just like my pumpkin puree has got to be natural and not from a can so does my whipping cream.  Again it just doesn't taste the same and why add all that added sugar. The filling is sweet enough that you don't need to add anymore sugar, and you can actually taste the pie not just the sugar.  Also, if you use the Graham pie crust, that also has sugar.  I ask you! "How much sugar do you need to enjoy a pie?"  
Alright just a couple of more steps and you can enjoy your pie.
With an electric mixer mix 1 cup whipping cream (35% cream) . The Whipping cream is done when the cream holds peaks but the tips are slightly softened. I usually put the bowl and the handles to the electric mixer in the freezer for 15 minutes before whipping the whipping cream. I find that helps speed up the process with the whipping cream.
When the pie is cool cover the whole top of the pie with the whipping cream.  I put it on thick, but you can add whatever amount you want.  I then sprinkle shredded coconut...you can either put sweetened or unsweetened coconut.  Keep pie refrigerated.

NOW....Get the fork or spoon, dig in and ENJOY!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate