Thursday 21 June 2012

A DOG DAY AFTERNOON



It was another hot, humid and scorching day in the town where I live.  The reason why I mention the weather will become apparent as you read on.  About one week ago my partner and  I went to Walmart to pick up a few things. After we parked the car and started walking up to the Walmart entrance we noticed this man yelling at these people leaving in a car.  Along side this man (that was yelling), was a woman, a police officer, and a dog.  We found out that the dog had been in the car for over an hour. That day was one of the hottest days we've had this summer. How can anyone who cares for their animal think of leaving them in the car on such an overly hot and humid day? The person that called the police (as they couldn't find the number for the humane society) noticed the dog in the car before she went into Walmart.  And when she came out an hour later she couldn't believe the poor dog was still in there.  I want to add that before this woman called the police, a man left a note on the dog owner's windshield.  It said, "Do not leave your dog locked up in your car or I will call animal control."  Thank God for the man who left the note and the woman that called the police...they probably saved that amazing but unfortunate dog's life.  I say unfortunate because no one should have owners like that poor dog. 
As my partner and I were walking by the owners of the dog we could hear them trying to make excuses to the police officer.  They talked with such arrogance. When I looked at these people as we were walking by they felt cold, and non caring.  Shortly after this incident I read in the newspaper that a couple who lives in Sudbury had left their dog in their car while in Vaughan. Sadly, the dog died.  These people will be charged with animal cruelty and a number of other offences.  Reading this last story was the last straw.  I had to do something...so here I am writing my story. I don't know who will read this story...if anyone?   But I had to voice my anger and my concern.
If you don't have a choice and you have to bring your animal with you (on those hot and humid days) then don't leave them in the car for more then 5 minutes.  Perhaps park in the shade where available.  And don't forget to leave the windows open enough so there is a good air flow. Think before you act!  Dogs and cats get hot just like people do - more so because of their fur.  If you want to get an idea about how your animal would feel in a car on a hot blistering day, go in a sauna room with a fur coat on.  I bet you couldn't last 5 minutes without wanting to run out tearing that fur coat off.  Well that's about it for now.  I want to thank all those who took the time to read my story.  I wish you all a good and safe summer.

FOOD FOR THOUGHT:
"I believe in animal rights, and high among them is the right to the gentle stroke of a human hand."  - Robert Brault

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate